Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:55 PM EST
By The Associated Press, AP
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Authorities say a man who died at a San Diego jail last month had swallowed a bag of drugs before his arrest.
Michael Bush died July 2 at the Central Jail, a day after he was arrested in Imperial Beach on suspicion of battery.
The county Sheriff's Department announced Wednesday that the medical examiner's office determined the death was an accident. The cause was listed as acute methamphetamine intoxication.
Authorities say the 51-year-old Bush had told another inmate he'd swallowed narcotics before his arrest, and an autopsy found a plastic baggie in his stomach.
The San Diego Union-Tribune says it's at least the seventh in-custody death in the county this year. Some died from medical problems but one man had ingested a large amount of plastic-wrapped methamphetamine before his arrest.